World Poetry Day is one of the important dates celebrated in March. We celebrate worldwide World Poetry Day on March 21st. Poetry is so powerful, and with its unique ability, it can capture the creative mind and soul of the human. Along with the English language, this day is popularly celebrated in all the national languages of our country.
We also see that many poets come forward and meet on this day, conducting different events. Every year we see that all the countries celebrate this important day and come up with so many events and activities so that more number of people can know about this day.
World Poetry Day History
The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization founded and celebrated the first World Poetry Day. The main idea behind the start of World Poetry Day is to create a way of communication across borders and cultural differences. It was already proved that poetry is the essence of human life and existence. Each year the number of poets and events is increasing, and we understand the importance of poems and this day.
World Poetry Day Theme
The world Poetry Day Theme of 2023 is “Always be a poet, even in prose.” Poet expresses their ideas and shows beauty in their words and expressions. Poetry is always rich with emotions, ideas, and thoughts. Poetry takes a person to another world where they understand the true essence of life. So, this year’syear’s theme indicates that poetry would be the same way a person’sperson’s prose should be. It should be written wholeheartedly, naturally covering all important aspects, fulfilling its purpose.
World Poetry Day Quotes
I love reading quotes from famous people. They always so rich with words and also emotionally connected, especially when it comes to Poetry. It is much more enjoyable reading them. I want to share a few quotes here so that you can enjoy reading both the quotes and your favourite poetry.
- “A good poem is a contribution to reality. The world never the same once a good poem added. A good poem helps to change the shape of the universe, helps to extend everyone’s knowledge of himself and the world around him.” —Dylan Thomas.
- “Poetry and beauty are always making peace. When you read something beautiful, you find coexistence; it breaks walls down.” —Mahmoud Darwish.
- I consider myself a poet first and a musician second. I live like a poet, and I will die like a poet- Bob Dylan.
- Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.-Plutarch
- “Painting is poetry that seen rather than felt, and poetry the painting that felt rather than seen.” ― Leonardo da Vinci.
World Poetry Day Ideas
- Poetry recitation competitions can held in all languages.
- The competition can take place in schools, colleges, and workplaces also.
- The best poetry should awarded and printed.
- People of all languages should sent an invite and ask them to write on a particular theme.
- The best-selected poems can selected and printed, and placed in libraries.
- The best poets from different languages should selected along with their best poems and shared on social media so that more people can read the poems.
- We can become a poet by writing and dedicating it to the most critical person.
- Kids’ rooms can pasted with a few inspirational poems.
- Various competitions can held for writing poems, reciting them, reading them, etc.,
- The government should provide a platform where poets from different countries and states can come to one place and celebrate this day.
- If travelling is a concern, online and live competitions can also conducted.
- We, too, should take some time and appreciate poets in our family and friend circle.
- We can gift some poetry books to government schools and colleges so that those kids can also get an opportunity to read some great poems.
- If you have any poets in the family, plan for a surprise family get-together and surprise them with a gift. It also allows them to showcase their talent among family members and friends.
Importance of Poetry
- Poetry inspires people and motivates them to achieve things in life.
- Poetry helps in forgetting the bitter past and worst experiences of life.
- Poetry is like medicine for a healing heart.
- Poetry helps a poet in clearly expressing their emotions and feelings.
- Poetry builds the bond between people and creates beautiful relationships.
- Poetry changes a person’sperson’s perspective toward others and the world.
- Poetry expresses love and narrates beautiful stories.
- Poetry is one of the best ways to enrich and express our culture and tradition.
- It supports linguistic diversity.
Significance of World Poetry Day
Poetry meant for everyone. Reading poems gives us much relaxation from our stressful life and busy schedule. Poetry brings us closer to our loved ones. One can become a poet by themselves grabbing an opportunity on this day. One can also visit a local library and read some poems.
Memorizing poems would improve the memory powers of kids, and we can start it this World Poetry Day. By reading poems, we can understand the culture and differences that took place from time to time. Poetry improves language skills.
In writing poetry, one can improve their vocabulary and spelling without making errors. This would greatly help while working in a company, both for giving oral presentations and writing official emails. Poetry improves creative thinking, so it is advisable to inculcate this habit among children from childhood.
Poetry also develops self-awareness. A person becomes sensitive and cautious while expressing ideas and thoughts to others. If you want to know anyone, you can just ask them to write or recite a poem. This way, we can understand the personality of a person.
So, let us all start writing poems and become the poets of our amazing lives.