World Cancer Day 2023 will be organized on February 4th, led by UICC. On this day, millions of people come together to let society know that Cancer is a curable disease.
Cancer Day has the primary goal, which is to significantly reduce the cancer rate and the death rate caused by Cancer. International cancer day is when the whole World’s concern is Cancer.
This day calls for a global emergency, Cancer, and tries to remind people that society plays a vital role in controlling the disease by creating awareness.
Importance of World Cancer Awareness Day
World Cancer Awareness Day 2023 organizes campaigns that create awareness that all the people of our society are equal.
World Cancer Day 2023 marks the second year of the three-year “close the care gap”. This year the motto is to tell society that all the individuals, organizations, policymakers, and other community people come under one tree to take action on controlling the death rate of Cancer.
Cancer Day was established on February 4th, 2020, and was held at the World Cancer Summit Against Cancer for the new millennium, which took place in Paris.
World Cancer Day is celebrated on February 4th annually, which aims to prevent millions of deaths each year by raising awareness and education about Cancer.
On February 4th, Cancer Day was marked as February Cancer Prevention Awareness Month. This month the American Institute of Cancer Research depicts how essential it is to support cancer research.
The International Union decided World Cancer Day date against Cancer (UICC). World Cancer Day is celebrated on February 4th yearly; UICC establishes a global get-together.
What is the major information that everyone should know about Cancer?
World Cancer Day Information tells us what cancer day is and what the significance of the day is. World cancer day’s motto is to create awareness among people, remove misinformation and reduce the stigma related to Cancer in society.
Many programs are open today to express support for people living with Cancer. A movement called “NoHairSelfie” and “hairticipants” shave their heads to tell that the people living with Cancer are the symbol of courage.
Cancer is the second leading cause of death globally. Thousands of lives can be saved every year only by implementing proper healthy habits. This can be cured and treated if detected early. Cancer tumors are classified into three groups.
(1) Benign tumors: These tumors are less dangerous. They grow slowly and do not spread to other body parts. They become dangerous only when they grow large.
(2) Malignant tumors: These tumors grow fast than Benign tumors. These tumors damage the neighboring tissues. The tumors of malignant tumors break off, and the main tumor spreads to other parts of the body; this process is known as metastasis.
(3) Precancerous: this tumor grows in a condition involving abnormal cells, which may convert into Cancer.Cancer is divided into the type of cells they start from.
The following are the five main types of Cancers:
Carcinoma : Cancer that arises from the epithelial cells. Carcinomas may invade the surrounding tissues and organs and metastasize to the lymph nodes and other body areas. This group’s most common forms of Cancer are breast, prostate, lung, and colon cancer.
Sarcoma : A type of malignant tumor of the bone or soft tissue (fat, muscle, blood vessels, nerves, and other connective tissues that support and surround organs).
Lymphoma and Myeloma : Lymphoma and Myeloma are cancers that begin in the cells of the immune system. Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system, which runs all through the body, and can therefore occur anywhere. Myeloma starts in the plasma cells, a type of white blood cell that produces antibodies to help fight infection. This Cancer can affect the cell’s ability to produce antibodies effectively.
Leukemia : Leukemia is a cancer of the white blood cells and bone marrow, the tissue that forms blood cells. There are several subtypes: lymphocytic leukemia and chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
Brain and spinal cord cancers : these are known as central nervous system cancers. Some are benign, while others can grow and spread.
What are the different World Cancer Day Activities conducted?
World Cancer Day Activities help people know about the disease and will create a positive response toward the people living with Cancer. On World Cancer day, people can do the following activities:
- People can go to gyms and spread cancer awareness as an unhealthy lifestyle may lead to the risk of developing Cancer.
- We can organize events where everyone gathering has to wear the same colored clothes, which denote the cancer awareness program.
- We can also help financially to a hospital by raising funds, or it can be given to any cancer palliative care center or cancer research center.
- We can give coupons using which people can go to hospitals for cancer screening.
- We can call a cancer survivor and make him give a speech on his experience and show him that society is with them as Cancer in our society is still considered taboo.
- We can invite an oncologist specializing in cancer treatment; we can request them to conduct a small webinar about the risk of developing Cancer and ask how a healthy lifestyle can help.
- We can encourage our family, friends, and society members to create cards and write some positive quotes which can be gifted to cancer survivors.
- We can help the poor patients by giving them food, clothes, blankets, and packed goodies.
- We can promote a non-smoking campaign to create awareness of how tobacco kills human cells.
- We can promote healthy eating habits.
World Cancer Day Quotes
The following which can inspire cancer survivors and bring positivity to society:
“Cancer opens many doors. One of the most important is your heart.” – Greg Anderson
“You have to be willing to give up the life you planned, and instead, greet the life that is waiting for you.” – Joseph Campbell.
“Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.” – Samuel Smiles.
“Don’t let pain define you, let it refine you.” – Tim Fargo
“Cancer didn’t bring me to my knees; it brought me to my feet.” – Michael Douglas
“There’s no one way to tell how our experiences change us or shape us. Not all transformations are visible. What I’ve learnt is to never let it hold me back. I’d rather dress up and show up!” -Sonali Bendre
“You can be a victim of Cancer or a survivor of Cancer. It’s a mindset.” – Dave Pelzer
“Cancer is a marathon – you can’t look at the finish line. You take it moment by moment, sometimes breath by breath, other times step by step.” – Sarah Betz Bucciero.
“Cancer cannot cripple love, it cannot shatter hope, it cannot conquer the spirit.” – Unknown
“Our way is not soft grass; it’s a mountain path with lots of rocks. But it goes upwards, forward, toward the sun.” – Ruth Wertheimer
“When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds, and diamonds made under pressure.” – Peter Marshall
“Yesterday gone, tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today, let us begin.” – Mother Teresa
“Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.” – Jim Valvano
“Without hair, a queen is still a queen.” – Prajakta Mhadnak
“Cancer is a journey, but you walk the road alone. There are many places to stop along the way and get nourishment — you just have to be willing to take it.” – Emily Hollenberg.
Slogans of Cancer:
The following the slogans on Cancer that called out on World cancer day:
1. What does not kill us always makes us stronger.
2. If you survive Cancer, then you become a better, much stronger person.
3. I can and I will.
4. Every ribbon makes a difference
5. Early Detection Is A Better Choice.
6. Hope, Strength, Love
7. Awareness Is Power.
WORLD CANCER DAY THEME
It is to say that World Cancer Day an international day marked on February 4th to raise awareness of Cancer and encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment.
The Union leads World Cancer Day for International Cancer Control to support the goals of the World Cancer Declaration, written in 2008.
The main theme of Cancer is a pink ribbon which is the global symbol of the breast cancer awareness program, and the orange ribbon is the symbol of creating awareness about childhood cancer.
The ribbon is a simple way to show support for people living with Cancer. Wearing a ribbon depicts that this is for cancer awareness without uttering a word.
Different ribbons represent different cancer awareness themes. The theme for 2022-2024 is “Close the care gap,” which focuses on removing the difference in access to cancer care services by various country groups.
The theme of 2019-2021 was “I am and I will. ” Ovarian Cancer called a “Silent Killer” and the most dangerous Cancer in women.
WORLD CANCER DAY HISTORY
It shows that Cancer a Greek word that refers to crab; it generally applied to this disease because the finger-like spreading projections of Cancer known to resemble a crab.
The father of Cancer is a Roman physician. The Charter of Paris who against Cancer, which created to promote research, prevent Cancer, and improve patient services, also included an article establishing the anniversary of the document’s official signing as World Cancer Day, which signed at the Summit by the then General Director of UNESCO.
Cancer caused by the following reasons:
- Alcohol is the strongest reason to cause Cancer.
- Obesity also causes Cancer.
- Experts have always suggested diets, nutritional food, unhealthy food, and less salty food.
- Tobacco contains 80% of the Cancer causing substances.
- Some people risk exposed to a cancer-causing substance because of their work.
- Manmade radiation sources can cause Cancer and are a risk for workers. These include radon, x-rays, gamma rays, and high-energy radiation. Prolonged and unprotected exposure to ultraviolet radiations from the sun, sunlamps, and tanning beds can also lead to melanoma and skin malignancies.
Symptoms of Cancer are:
- Unusual lumps and swelling
- Changes in bowel habits
- Unexpected bleeding
- Complications with urinating
- Unusual breast changes
- A sore or ulcer that won’t heal
- Heartburn or indigestion.
Knowledge about Cancer has become exceedingly important in the 21st century. While there are numerous advancements in the understanding and treatments of Cancer-factors that should contribute to the decline of the disease-the number of new cancer cases diagnosed each year has continuously increased globally.
Cancer is a marathon – you can’t look at the finish line. You take it moment by moment, sometimes breath by breath, other times step by step.” “Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and live for the moment.
“I don’t know what tomorrow holds, but I know WHO holds tomorrow.”
The following messages the nation’s citizens have to spread inspire people living with Cancer: Do not give up.
The beginning is always the hardest. You can do it. You can defeat it. It is not what they take away from you that count. It is what you do with what you have left. Never give up; life is worth living. There is life after Cancer.