Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya Foundation Day 2024 : India is home to many distinct cultures, dialects, and religions interspersed across its many states. These nations’ histories frequently provide insights into the origins of India as we know it now. The North East Reorganization Act of 1971 was enacted on January 21, a significant historic milestone in this achievement.
Their statehood day, January 21, is celebrated as Tripura, Manipur, and Meghalaya Foundation Day. Here is all the information you need to know about this day, its emergence, how to commemorate Tripura, Manipur, and Meghalaya Foundation Day 2024, and more as we get ready to celebrate Tripura, Manipur, and Meghalaya Foundation Day in 2024.
Also Read : National Youth Day 2024 – Birthday of Swami Vivekananda
In 1949, Manipur and Tripura, two princely states, merged with India. They subsequently received the status of the union territory. Meghalaya and Tripura received full statehood in 1972. The North Eastern Region (Re-organization) Act of 1971 allowed for the creation of the states.
Formation of Tripura, Manipur, and Meghalaya states
- The Assam Plains, the North Eastern Frontier Tracts, and the hill districts made up India’s northeast in 1947. The princely states united with India later that year, in 1949. As union territories, they were established. In 1963, Nagaland became a state.
- The Assam Reorganization (Meghalaya) Act was passed into law in 1969. Meghalaya was separated from Assam and given autonomy due to the act. According to the sixth schedule of the Indian Constitution, this was done.
- The North Eastern Reorganization Act was passed in 1972. Meghalaya and Tripura received full statehood as a result. Additionally, the act designated the NEFA and Mizo hills of Assam as union territories.
- In 1986, the Mizo Accord was ratified. In 1987, Mizoram became a sovereign state.
- NEFA, or Arunachal Pradesh, received full statehood in 1987.
Also Read : Lal Bahadur Shastri Jayanti
The merger of Tripura with India:
- The Manikya dynasty’s Tripura Maharajas ruled the former princely state of Tripura. Even while the British were in charge of India, it functioned as a separate administrative division under the Maharaja.
- According to Rajmala, Tripura ruled by about 184 rulers until it joined the Indian Union on October 15, 1949.
- Tripura recognized as a “C” category state on January 26, 1950, and on November 1, 1956, it recognised as a Union Territory. According to the North-East Reorganisation Act 1971, it became an entire state on January 21, 1972, thanks to its people’s persistent efforts and struggle.
- With elections for the local bodies in 1978, its democratic system extended to the village level.
Also Read : Martin Luther King Day
Merger of Manipur with India:
- Before August 15, 1947, nearly all states whose territories were adjacent to India’s new borders had incorporated into the Indian Union through peaceful agreements.
- Most of the state’s leaders decided to join the Union of India by signing an agreement known as the “Instrument of Accession.”
- The Maharaja of Manipur, Bodhachandra Singh, signed the Instrument of Accession with the Indian government a few days before Independence on the condition that Manipur’s internal autonomy would preserved.
- The Maharaja of Manipur held elections in June 1948 due to pressure from the populace, and the state eventually adopted the constitutional monarchy system.
Also Read : Lala Lajpat Rai birth anniversary
Meghalaya became a part of India:
- The leaders of the Garo and Khasi regions joined India, which had just attained Independence, in 1947.
- The United Khasi and Jaintia Hills and the Garo Hills districts made up Meghalaya’s small, hilly state, which established as an autonomous state inside Assam on April 2, 1970.
Modifications in 1972
- Northeast India’s political landscape suffered a significant transformation in 1972.
- The Sub-State of Meghalaya the two Union Territories of Manipur and Tripura, and both acquired statehood.
When did Mizoram become an independent state within India?
The Mizo Accord of 1986 states that Mizoram became a fully-fledged state of India in 1987.
When did Meghalaya and Tripura receive full statehood?
The North East Reorganisation Act of 1972 provided full statehood to Tripura and Meghalaya.
What day celebrated as Tripura, Manipur, and Meghalaya Foundation Day?
On January 21, Tripura, Manipur, and Meghalaya celebrate their statehood. After 24 years of India’s Independence, they became a state.
Also Read Full Details of : Mannam Jayanthi