Nowadays, anyone with several DVDs (movies, TV shows, series, etc.) seems inclined to save DVD content on their computers and mobile devices. Several free & paid programs can help you to convert your DVDs to digital format. These software programs will also let you edit these DVDs’ content to your preferences.
However, in selecting the tool, you should ensure that the chosen ripper can make high-quality digital files from discs, ISO images, files or folders. A competent DVD ripper can rip DVDs to multiple file formats like MP4s, AVIs, WMVs, MOVs, etc., for playback on any device.
Hopefully, your search ends here with this list of the top 3 best DVD rippers for Windows. So stick to the post to get high-quality results with minimal effort;
3 Best DVD Rippers for Windows – 2023
1. DVDFab DVD Ripper
Our first pick-up is the most competent DVDFab DVD Ripper for Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7(32/64 bit) and Mac operating systems. The software supports homemade, copy-secured discs, ISO images, VIDEO_TS folder, etc. It will work to convert your DVDs to more than 1000 video and audio formats for over 200 devices.
Besides a DVD ripper, the program offers a DVD copier and DVD creator to ensure user convenience in one package. The program is super-fast for batch conversion of copy-secured DVDs to rip them to any digital video and audio formats on play on any device, including Apple, Android, and others.
- DVDFab’s unique Cloud Decryption service identifies and eliminates DVD copy securities such as CSS, APS, RC, Sony DADC, and others from any old and new DVDs
- The program converts any DVD to MP4, MKV, MP3 and other over 1000 video & audio formats in 1:1 quality to give an exceptional home theatre experience.
- The latest GPU acceleration quickly converts and compresses video sizes 50 times faster while preserving original quality for mobile playback.
- The default video editor helps users to make their videos wonderful while cropping, trimming, merging, adding watermark and external subtitles and adjusting brightness level.
- This DVD ripper can also auto-synchronize the meta info of the source DVD and generate .nfo file by so that all the meta info will be displayed on the media server.
How to rip a DVD to a Computer with DVDFab DVD Ripper?
Step 1: Launch the DVDFab DVD Ripper & load the DVD source.
Launch DVDFab 12 and click on the “Ripper” option. Place your source DVD into the optical drive or select it using the “Add button”. If you are using the ISO file or folder, drag and drop it.
Step 2: Select a profile and personalize the output setting.
After importing the DVD, tap “Choose Other Profile” to select your desired output format from the drop-down menu. You can choose from various formats like MP4, AVI, MKV, and more. You can also customize the output by the built-in video editor. It will also allow you to select the preferred audio tracks, subtitles, video and audio parameters, and other options.
Step 3: Start ripping DVD free & fast
Begin the process of ripping your DVDs in a swift and cost-free manner. Save the resulting video on your hard drive, mobile device, or upload it to YouTube. Click the “Start” button to initiate the DVD-ripping process. The program will also show you the ripping process clearly.
Step 3: HandBrake
HandBrake is a free DVD ripper and converter for Windows 10/11, Mac OS X 10.13 and Linux. Besides DVDs, you can also use it to rip Blu-rays. Its latest functions will support you to rip and convert individual chapters and crop only the desired part.
- It can easily handle different multimedia files and DVD and Blu-ray sources that are not copy-secured.
- It supports MP4(M4V), MKV, and WebM output formats.
- This software supports a variety of video encoders including AV1, H.265, H.264, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, VP8, and VP9 and audio encoders like AAC, HE-AAC, MP3, FLAC, AC3, E-AC3, Opus, and Vorbis.
- It delivers standard or high-quality conversion output within 15-20 minutes.
- The program can effectively trim, compress and convert video files to an MP4 format compatible with various systems such as edTPA and Blackboard, meeting industry standards.
How to use HandBrake for DVD ripping?
Step 1: Launch the HandBrake DVD Ripper and insert the source DVD.
Insert the required DVD into your drive, open the program, and navigate to the “Source Selection”. Tap on the target DVD and let the program scan it.
Step 2: Select the required DVD title and chapter for ripping
The program will automatically select the necessary title. Click on the Title drop-down menu and select the desired one. After that, choose the desired preset and click “Add to Queue”.
Step 3: Adjust the output setting
The program will let you rip your DVD files to MP4, MKV, and WebM formats. You can also choose subtitles and audio tracks, improve video parameters, etc.
Step 4: Save your video and click on the start encoding button
Save your output video to the desired destination and click the “Start Encode” button to initialize the ripping process.
Step 4: MakeMKV
MakeMKV is one of the most accessible programs for Windows XP, Mac OS X 10.7 and higher, and Linux. Currently, in beta, it is free to use. This DVD ripper will let you choose the desired chapters to extract and their final destination. However, advanced users may find that customization options are limited.
- MakeMKV is able to read some copy-protected DVDs and Blu-rays.
- The software only converts DVD in MKV format as fast as your drive reads data.
- The program saves different video and audio tracks with all meta-data.
- Besides, there will be no watermark or ad in the final files.
How to use MakeMKV for DVD ripping?
Step 1: Download and install MakeMKV and insert the source DVD into your optical drive. Open MakeMKV to detect the DVD and show you the disc data.
Step 2: Click on the large DVD icon to scan all disc titles. Once the scanning process is complete, you can see the list of all disc chapters. You can select your required title from this list. It will also let you choose your preferred audio and subtitle track.
Step 3: Finally, click on the yellow folder icon and save your output on the computer. Click on the Make MKV to start the ripping process, and wait 10-30 minutes to get your final file.
With the growing demand for converting physical media to digital, the need for DVD rippers also increases. A DVD ripper works excellently to preserve your valuable DVD content forever. While Handbrake and MakeMKV each have their own merits as DVD rippers, it is DVDFab DVD Ripper that stands out as the best among them.
DVDFab’s superiority lies in its advanced capabilities such as support for the latest disc decryption techniques that ensure a wider range of DVDs can be ripped. Moreover, it offers an impressive array of output formats which cater to various user needs. Added to this is its extensive customization options which allow users to tailor their ripping process according to their preferences.
Therefore, if you are seeking a comprehensive solution that combines cutting-edge technology with user-friendly features, DVDFab DVD Ripper would be your top choice.