International Day of Action for Rivers observed on March 14th. This day meant for celebrating, creating awareness and dedicating ourselves to saving our rivers. Unfortunately, our rivers getting polluted daily due to waste from agriculture, industries and sewage.
That is why World Day of Action for Rivers 2023 is going to take place, and many people will take part in this important movement to save our rivers. Everyone must wake up and save the rivers so the next generation won’t affected.
International Day of Action for Rivers – History
In order to make people understand the importance of rivers for human existence and also to sensitize them to save for future generations, the International Day of Action for Rivers started bringing all the people across the globe to one place to talk about the issues related to river conservation, river management and river pollution etc.
Also, different ideas and thoughts welcome during the discussion so that the rivers can protected and saved on time. In the year 1995, in the month of September, there were many organizations along with International Rivers Network, which in short called IRN, Chile’s Biobio Action Group, i.e.
GABB and India’s Save the Narmada Movement (NBA) and European Rivers Network which is ERN, all came to Brazil and conducted an important meeting on saving rivers.
In the year 1997, in March, there the first International Meeting held by all the countries whose dams affected, and those dams adopted by the International Day of Action against dams and for rivers, water and life. From that day on, it decided that every year on March 14th, the day would dedicated to this.
International Day of Action for Rivers 2023 Theme
The International Day of Action for Rivers 2023 theme is “Rights of Rivers.” Today, people are planning different activities to educate people on how to conserve the rivers and protect them from pollution.
People are planning to make an event in their localities and educate family members and friends about the importance of rivers and clean water.
People can share their favourite river story or make a poster or banner. Some people are planning to go for the beautiful painting of the rivers, which would inspire people. All the event images will shared on social media so that more people motivated and can become part of the event.
International Day of Action for Rivers Information
- Rivers are the lifeline of humans and other living beings’ existence.
- Rivers are important in enriching and balancing the ecosystem.
- It is important to tell people about its importance and educate them about how life would be worse in its absence.
- Rivers provide us with water for drinking, transportation, agriculture, irrigation and many other purposes.
- They are also a habit for fish and other water-living animals.
- Rivers used to producing electricity through hydroelectric dams.
- Rivers are also useful for leisure and recreation activities like boating and swimming.
- The rivers are also a livelihood for many people who go fishing for a living.
- They make the land fertile and important for growing healthy crops.
- They are the food source for many animals that live in the water.
International Day of Action for Rivers Wikipedia
You are keen and more interested in learning about the rivers now. I suggest you go through Wikipedia to get a lot of information about the rivers. You can get the names of all the rivers there and how to save the rivers, and what is affecting our rivers. All the information would be there.
There so many books written on Rivers, and you can visit a library or place an online order and read about them. Share the information among your family members and friends so that they will fall in love with rivers and start protecting them.
Some books are knowledgeable, funny and interesting to read about Rivers. Like “Three Men in a Boat ” by Jerome K Jerome, this book is a perfect travel guide where three friends travel on a boat from London to Oxford, narrating all the important incidents during their journey. The other book “Rivers of India”, in which all the details of the eight major rivers of the country written. In the book, all the details about the rivers’ present, past and future mentioned. It also tells the readers about the belief system and myth of the people connecting with rivers.
International Day of Action for Rivers Quotes
Certain quotes inspire us and draw our attention towards rivers. On International Day of Action for Rivers, quotes also shared on social media to make many people participate and make them a part of this important event.
I want to share a few quotes for you here so that you can join me in saving our Rivers.
- “Beside the river, there are two things you never forget, that the moment you look at a river, that moment has already passed and that everything is on its way somewhere else.” – Niall Willams.
- “A dream is like a river ever-changing as it flows, and a dreamer’s just a vessel that must follow where it goes.” – Garth Brooks.
- “I understand that everything connected, that all roads meet, and that all rivers flow into the same sea.” – Paulo Coelho.
- “A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretence and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself.” – Maya Angelou
- “A river seems like a magical thing. Magic, moving, living part of the earth itself.” – Laura Gilpin
So, please take some time from your busy schedule and join your hands on this important day. Please come up with some unique ideas and thoughts. That we can use to bring back the glory of our Rivers. Let us save our Rivers and be responsible citizens of our country.